Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Construct a Vest from a Cardigan

While cleaning out my spare bedroom closet I found my poor neglected Singer Sewing machine.  I have had this machine since 2002 and I have only used it to "try" to hem up the pant legs on three pairs of pants.  Since then, it has been in hibernation waiting for me to find it conveniently when I decided now is the perfect time to try to introduce myself to my creative/crafty side.  So, I decided I would take it easy on myself and started off with a reconstruction from a long black cardigan.  I liked the material it was made of, but I didn't like the length of it.  The back of the cardigan hit me in an odd spot and was a little unflattering.  So, after coveting the newer fashions of crocheted vests.  I decided this would be the perfect option for my unflattering cardigan.  So, I got to work taking the seams out along the arm holes.  Unfortunately I did not take many pictures of the process.  What can I say, I am a newbie.  Then, I grabbed some chalk and drew out what I wanted my vest to look like.  I really like the style that is out right now where the front of the sweaters or vests are longer in the front and shorter in the back. I made sure I left myself some allowance to sew and finish up the edges.  I then took it to the sewing machine and used a zig zag stitch on all the cut edges.  I don't know if the zig zag stitch or the material did it, but I ended up with a small pretty ruffle on the edges.  I liked it so much I cut the arm holes a little larger and sewed those up too.  Here is the final product.

I teamed it up with a cute white t-shirt that had some sparkly stones at the neck and a cute thick black belt.   I am loving this vest right now!

No comments: